Call For a Free Case Evaluation 800.370.7102
When Life Takes a Turn, Turn to Diefer Your Side Deserves to Be Heard

Child Support Modifications

Do you need to adjust your child support amount?

Have you received a demotion at work? Were you injured on the job and can no longer work? If you cannot meet your child support requirements, it is imperative you seek a modification as soon as possible. In the State of California, you can ask for a modification to either increase or decrease your court-ordered child support amount for various reasons including:

  • You were laid off or terminated from your job
  • You obtained a new job
  • Your income decreased or increased
  • There is a custody or visitation change
  • Family size changed
  • You become disabled
  • You are jailed or put in prison
  • You are deployed

Modifications may only be considered if the support order would change by 20% or $50, whichever is considered less.

What You Need to Modify a Child Support Order

If you wish to modify your child support order, you can contact your local child support agency, hire a Riverside family law attorney, or seek the Family Law Facilitator's assistance. By hiring an experienced lawyer, they can ensure all paperwork is provided and filled out properly. Modifications require a plethora of paperwork such as:

  • Proof of income and expenses
  • Proof of child care expenses
  • Medical insurance
  • Proof of disability
  • Jail or prison status
  • Custody and visitation agreements
  • Retirement income
  • Unemployment benefits

A family law attorney can also help in the event your ex-spouse does not agree on a support amount. In the event you and your ex-spouse cannot reach a child custody amount, your case will be taken to court and a judge will determine the amount.

When you hire a lawyer from Diefer Law Group, PC the child custody modification process can be completed much faster than if you worked with a Family Law Facilitator or your local child support agency. We can also assist with custody and visitation issues, as well as a myriad of other family law-related issues. Our Riverside divorce lawyers offer free consultations, so contact our firm today if you need help with a child support modification.